- If you plan to apply to 7 – 12 schools (the average range), you should plan on investing 90 -100 hours total time to complete your applications.
- Applying to more schools? Add more time to the block.
- Fewer schools? Reduce the estimate a bit, but there’s no simple math for calculating the average time per application.
- While some of the essays can be used for multiple schools, a good chunk of your time will be spent gathering school-specific information and brainstorming ideas.
- Avoid the temptation to start writing and get the whole thing over with. One of the best ways to save time in the long-run is to invest a bit of time upfront to explore ideas and topics.
- Most candidates invest about 10% of their total application time on upfront items like identifying a topic or story for their long essay and making some rough notes and 90% on the actual writing and editing. Increasing your PREP work by a factor of 3x will make your writing and editing process more efficient and effective.
Want more advice? Check out Write Now! Essential Tips for Standout College Essays.